Friday, January 9, 2015

Charlie Hebdo - PARIS

PARIS—. French authorities say the two armed suspects in this week's Charlie Hebdo attack have been killed and their hostage freed during a police raid northeast of Paris.
Paris »
Paris supermarket hostage-taking ends with 4 hostages, gunman dead
Paris Massacre Suspects Killed in Dramatic Hostage Raids


Something occurred to me as I watched news reports of this situation. 
Not sure why these thoughts came so suddenly to me or why I am now writing about it but looking at the photos of the gunmen and the woman still at large,
I thought of the film Battle of Algiers, political film about the Algerian struggle
 for independence from France.

The organization of Algerian Front de Liberation Nationale (FLN) was constructed
as a pyramid, a network of cells, each unaware of the others but following orders 
that came from one person, who in turn was a member of a cell, much like this chart 

I am sure this is the same type of organizational structure being used today. I would bet the woman they are searching for would be the "leader" of the cell if for no other reason than she's have a greater ability to move about, that is, getting directives from someone higher up to pass along to her cell members.

If this is the case, it is going to be difficult, but not impossible to dismantle the organization.

These are just thoughts about things that I usually have no interest in contemplating but the thoughts came so quickly about a movie I saw so many years ago and haven't thought much of, that I am curious as to why.

I suppose time will tell if I am right about this (if the whole story is ever told)

Maybe I shouldn't even post this but it is a diary of the life and times of a monk and what happened in Paris is certainly a sign of the times.

No comments:

Post a Comment