Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Learning to see

"Spirituality is not learned by fleeing from the world, by running away from things or by remaining solitary and removed from the world. Instead, you must develop an inner solitude wherever you are, no matter who is with you. You must learn to look deeper and find God everywhere."

-- Meister Eckhart


Years ago, in another place, as I began the spiritual path, I went to park located at the edge of the ocean. I went there to meditate among the trees and vines.
Yet, everywhere I turned, the view of land and sea was spotted with man-made objects: the bridge spanning the bay, boats large and small upon the water, houses on the hills. 
I so much wanted to see untouched nature and in that creation, to "see" God.
I was frustrated, disappointed and was about to turn around and go home.
Then I "heard" a voice.
"The challenge is to see God even in places where mankind has intruded." 
It is still a challenge. But I try.

No comments:

Post a Comment