Monday, August 18, 2014

TUCSON, AZ  Monday morning  pt 1

The dust has settled and I find myself at a crossroads, one of new opportunities and creativity.  It was a difficult journey getting to this point but now can see what lies ahead.

It began two months ago when my 84-year-old mother asked to come live with me in Arizona. I never believed she would ever leave New Jersey and at first didn't give her request much thought, sure she would change her mind.

But she insisted. So, I found a house big enough for us (at the time I was living as a hermit in a small casita). I knew of a vacant house only a few streets away on Limberlost Ave. I had met the previous tenants, had dinner and meditation sessions there, liked the house and knew it would be perfect for my mother.

And so it began. I flew out to Newark, took a shuttle to Toms River, met my friend Irene for lunch the next day and since my mother's car was already packed, we left the following morning.

We weren't on the road long when I knew something was wrong. Though she tried to hide it, my mother was nervous and fearful. I could feel the stress and wondered how we were going to get through four days driving across America.

In Missouri I had an accident and totaled the car when I hit a guardrail by swerving away from a potential crash with another car- no one was hurt, the airbags didn't deploy, but the car would be too expensive to repair. The accident was a blessings for reasons I will later explain.

We flew the rest of the way, leaving her belongings to be shipped out by the towing company.



No comments:

Post a Comment